Over the years, I have come across several ‘truths’ about natural hair. During my hair journey, I have discovered the truths that I have made my commandments. Today, i’m going to share with you some of the most basic yet helpful truths that can help you take good care of your hair.
- Natural hair is beautiful no matter how it looks, it’s texture. Always be proud to rock those kinky locks and curls that may drive you crazy (especially when hair is tangled) because they are yours. Loving your hair is the first step to taking good care of it and this my friend is a fact.
- Natural hair grows. I have come across people who say that natural hair does not grow (big lie). Everyone’s hair is different therefore the growth rate is different. All you need is patience and more patience to grow your hair long and that means you have to pamper it to get those results which may be seen after weeks and months.
- Moisture, moisture, moisture. Our hair needs a lot of it to prevent drying and frizz which leads to hair breakage. In the same way a seedling needs water to grow into a tree, so does our hair. This is one thing you have to put in mind if you want great hair.
- Natural hair needs a lot of care. This may seem easy but it is not. The care I am talking about starts from what we eat. You ought to eat lots of vitamins and drink a lot of water if you want to have healthy looking hair. You also have to exercise too. Use products that are compatible with your hair type and texture to avoid disappointments.
- Protective styles are the key. This might be cliché but trust me, you will always need to protect those ends to prevent splitting and breakage. Put on protective styles and especially when the sun is up because it does damage hair. You can always wear a wig, put your hair in a bun, rock them twist outs and braid outs. The list is endless. Always ensure that your protective styles are not straining your edges.
- Lastly, natural hair can survive without heat styling. This is totally true. Your hair will not fall off if you don’t flat iron it. In fact, you will be helping it live longer. I have friends who cannot stay away from heat because natural hair is not manageable (fat lie). You can always learn how to manage your hair by knowing what your hair needs and building a regimen that works for you. Ditch heat styling if you want great results.
Voila, those are some of the truths that should stick with you all days of your hair life. If you have any comment or question, you can leave it below. Thank you for reading.